Monday 15 January 2018

My GCI Experience with Wikimedia

  This is my first time in GCI and also my first rendezvous with open source development.My primary objective of participating in GCI was to get familiar with open source development cycle, which in my opinion is completed. 

  
I choose to work with Wikimedia as it is synonymous with free and open source and is credited for enabling everyone to access the sum of human knowledge for free. My first task was to get into an IRC chat, which is considered to be the backbone of every open source development. The community at #wikimedia-dev channel was surprisingly welcoming and enabled me to get going with other tasks. While participating in GCI I got to use my Lua skills in a fruitful manner and got to know about other lesser known Wikimedia projects like Phabricator, PAWS, and wiki data. 
  
  
Most importantly GCI teaches us not only how to work with the community but also how to work for the community. Now, I am looking forward to contributing more to open source software development not as a participant of GCI but as a volunteer and a community member. 
GCI 2017-18 contestant.


text under
  CC license

No comments:

Post a Comment

My GCI Experience with Wikimedia

    This is my first time in GCI and also my first rendezvous with open source  development.My  primary objective of participating in GC...